[META-SIG] whence db-sig?

LD Landis ldl@ldl.HealthPartners.COM
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:35:53 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

  I almost didn't comment...  BUT...

  I concur on keeping old lists around.

  What I've done on some that I administer is that I have a
    "The list is dead, long live the list"
  message that I send out once a month (at the beginning).

  For those messages that bounce, I go in and delete thosei
  people (figuring that they'll re-subscribe if needed...
  and I'm talking "no such user" type of bouncing here).

  Sometimes, people do actually decide to unsubscribe, but
  most appreciate knowing that the list is still there, and
  need not do anything to leave it as it is...

  For example.... let's say that db-sig was "dead", and then
  some new way cool post-relational "mysql" comes along...
  The db-sig people get "pinged" every month, so they have the
  location of the db-sig fairly fresh in their mind and can
  start right away... and continue to build their history.

  Just a thought.

David Ascher wrote:

> > >I'm coming to agree (with whoever suggested it) that it would be a good
> > >idea to retain SIGs after they've satisfied their goals, if they're
> > >going to be useful for answering questions.
> >
> > 	That's a big IF; what if no one's reading the SIG anymore?  If
> > a SIG becomes quiet, the active posters will probably stay subscribed,
> > but no one new will join, and as the active posters change e-mail
> > addresses (and forget to resubscribe to a list they haven't seen a
> > message from in months), the readership will slowly drop.
>
> But what's the cost?  I've kept LISTSERV lists alive for a long while
> after issues died out, and apart from the spamming problem, there's no
> real cost (as long as the people running the list server don't mind).
>
> > >subject at issue?  Plus, sigs often have artifacts - eg pythonwin stuff
> > >- that need a place.  Why not keep them around?
> >
> > 	Then there should be a page under software for that stuff, or
> > the maintainer should have a page on starship for it.  It's not very
> > nice to make people hunt around the SIG pages looking for software.
> > ("Go write a locator, then".  I know, I know... :( )
>
> The most important artifact of a list is the archive of messages, which I
> think we all agree should be kept in some way or other.  But things like
> the DB API should belong on python.org, not starship.
>
> On the same topic -- what's so bad about the hypermail archive of the
> mailing lists that it's not available by default from each SIG page?  I
> use it all the time, but I keep having to look for it on the main SIG
> page, as opposed to where I'd expect to find it (I know, I need to rewire
> a few neurons).

> send messages to: meta-sig@python.org
> administrivia to: meta-sig-request@python.org

Cheers,