[PYTHON META-SIG] Re: Getting rid of Majordomo's subject munging

Barry A. Warsaw Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:27:07 -0400

    Guido> I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I
    Guido> din't know of any more appropriate forum.

As good a place as any!

    Guido> I personally hate this, and believe it's unnecessary.

I really like it, but not (primarily) for mail filter purposes,
although it does work very nicely with VM's virtual folder system
(it's much quicker to filter on subjects than recipients).  The other
great win that I see is that the Subject summary shows me those
strings, and I typically read those messages second order.  So even
without looking at the message I can decide whether to read it or not
during the first pass of my new mail.

I'd like to keep these tags, but I won't stand in the way of the
majority.  I do think however that for fairness, each mailing list
ought to decide whether to keep them or not (or should we just be
authoritarian and let meta-sig decide?).  It will take some work to
get rid of them, since they're sprinkled throughout all the .config
files.  I'll also just add that this is the first complaint I've seen
about them! :-)

What say ye, meta-sigsters?

-Barry