[PYTHON META-SIG] proposal for PATTERN-SIG mission statement

Barry A. Warsaw Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:55:02 -0500

Establishing a SIG is really a pretty informal affair.  For better or
worse, it is a non-insignificant amount of work for me to create all
the Majordomo and sendmail mess to get the SIG going, so I really like
to do it for those SIGs that have a clear mission in life.

Dinu, I read your mission statement and I think it's a good first
shot.  However, I think you can both trim it down and state clearly
what it is you hope to accomplish with the SIG.  You probably don't
need much of the text that describes/justifies Python -- I think
that's a given.  Ideally the mission statement should fit on one
"page".  And I had a hard time understanding what exactly it is you
want to accomplish with the SIG; e.g. what are it's deliverables?
IMO, the most successful SIGs have had a clear, limited mission.  The
more amorphous it is, the less successful.

If you're just looking for a convenient forum for discussion patterns
in Python programming, I'd ask why you think the general newsgroup is
not appropriate?  Do you think this area will generate that much
traffic?  Do you think the results are of limited interest to the
Python community at large?

What would make me more enthusiastic about the SIG (I'm already
enthusiastic about the subject matter!) would be to see a list of what
you want to produce.  E.g. "The PatternSIG will collect and collate
common programming patterns, idioms, and tricks 'o the trade, of
general use to the Python community.  Its mission is to produce a set
of well-indexed Web pages that Python programmers can use as reference
material for their own projects."

-Barry