[META-SIG] Mailing-list software migration trial

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:59:27 -0500 (EST)

This is a heads-up about an experiment with new mailing list software
on the meta-sig.

I've finally had a bit of time to work with and tailor john viega's
python-based mailing list software, mailman, with an eye to using it
on python.org in place of the older and less flexibile majordomo that
we've been using.  Mailman offers a lot more, including web-based
subscription customization and list administration, optional digest-
based subscriptions, integration with a web-based archival mechanism,
and more, so the migration looks very favorable.  I'd like to do a
full-fledged trial with the new mechanism before commissioning it
wide-scale, and the meta-sig looks like a good candidate for this
trial.

This will mean that i'll be creating the archives and transferring
over the subscriptions in the next few days (probably not before
wednesday, due to work projects).  At that point everyone will receive
a notice of their "new" subscription, including a password and
instructions for using it for customizing the subscription.  I'll post
another message immediately before making the transition, when i find
a window to do so.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the impending
changes!

Ken Manheimer		  klm@python.org	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

	# If you appreciate Python, consider joining the PSA! #
		  # <http://www.python.org/psa/>. #