[meta-sig] Switchover to mailman

Greg Stein (Exchange) gstein@exchange.microsoft.com
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 03:46:52 -0800

Can we concentrate on *usability* ? If somebody wants your address, then
they'll get it simply by trolling the archives. Let's just face that
fact and make the site as helpful and as useful as possible.

For example, that autogen GIF idea? Bleh. As a user, how do I copy an
email address from my browser into my mail client? Can't. Gotta retype
it. Forget that... just about the same as not having it in the first
place, IMO.

Also, why just list it in plain text? Let's just go ahead and create
mailto: links. That will be very handy.

Please realize that a spider is not going to stop at a CGI script.
That's looks like just any other page. They'll traverse it just as
quickly as a .html page. And yes... the magnet site was crawled. Just
search for your name in altavista and you'll see pages on magnet.

I would recommend that we allow the per-person privacy setting. Most
would be on by default and the list would have an emails page by
default. There have been a number of times when I'd like to see the list
of people and I want to simply hit a web page and find it.

Let's make the system easy for *us*.

-g