[meta-sig] Re: [Types-sig] The Types-SIG is comatose. Let's retire it.

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:18:07 -0500 (EST)

mengx@nielsenmedia.com writes:
 > Perhaps this proved trying to (optionally) adding TYPEs to python language
 > itself to  be unpopular. At the start of this list, I suggested to embed
 > type hints inside doc string, or some other non-breaking methods which
 > only requires python engine implementation changes instead of adding new
 > keywords or symbols to the code. Or instead of diving into uncertain
 > langauge research, accept and enhance CXX to ease the extension writing,
 > which may solve many issues related to the need of TYPED python

  Actually, someone suggested encoding type information in docstrings
just recently in the Doc-SIG.  See:

http://dinsdale.python.org/pipermail/doc-sig/1999-December/001607.html
http://dinsdale.python.org/pipermail/doc-sig/1999-December/001610.html
http://dinsdale.python.org/pipermail/doc-sig/1999-December/001623.html
http://dinsdale.python.org/pipermail/doc-sig/1999-December/001627.html

  Since the decision was to table it for now, I don't think it
warrents keeping alive a dead SIG.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>