[meta-sig] terminating the GUI SIG

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:28:57 -0500

Dear GUI SIG members,

I propose to termininate the GUI SIG.  The traffic in the second half
of 1998 has been underwhelming: according to the archives, there were
only 45 messages from July through December.  These were mostly
questions about specific GUI packages such as Motif, Tkinter and Pmw.
Such questions are usually (and much more frequently!) asked in the
Python newsgroup.  The development of a Python-specific portable GUI
seems to have come to a standstill.  All in all, I don't see much
reason to keep a separate SIG mailing list alive for GUI topics.

Termination of the SIG doesn't mean that alternative GUIs are now a
taboo topic -- far from it!  It is simply acknowledging the fact that
the SIG is not the forum to hear about it.

The SIG archives and web pages will continue to exist, but the mailing
list will no longer be usable, and the SIG will be moved to the list
of retired SIGS (http://www.python.org/sigs/retired.html).

I will wait a week before taking action, to allow for any objections
to be heard.

See you in comp.lang.python,