[meta-sig] [Edu-sig] Split the edu-SIG?

Steve Morris smorris@nexen.com
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 11:27:05 -0500 (EST)

Dave,

You are making valid points but I think you are rushing a little. I
expect that the current flood of traffic will settle down a lot in a
week or so as people finish stating their initial interests and
objectives. It may be that when the traffic settles we can handle both
threads. There are not completely exclusive. Tool development needs to
be guided by the practical experience of those on the ground trying to
teach. Those on the ground need to understand the possibilities of
what tool people can deliver in the future.

By the way I am clearly on the tool development side but would hate to
move forward without significant feedback from the intended users.

I also don't think the dichotomy is as clear as you state it. I
suspect that most people are more in the middle. Where do you put
such things as creation of examples. How about packaging examples with
the interpreter, ide and documentation in an easy to deploy package.

I would define your dichotomy as more of a continuous spectrum with
at least these tentative breakdowns:

1) People wanting to use existing software unchanged and looking for
ways to do that.

2) People looking for simple short term enhancements that improve
their ability to deploy in the short term.

3) Longer term ideas of varying scales.

Plese don't try to define this in polarizing us and them terms.

Steve