[meta-sig] CPAN-for-Python

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:50:11 -0500

Back in the 1995 or 1996 time frame I created one of the first couple of
sigs, called the "Locator SIG".  It's charter was to provide a
searchable archive for Python resources.

It ultimately went the same way most of these initiatives go: nobody
actually went out and did anything.  However, I think the circumstances
have changed a LOT since then: Python is a lot bigger, which both makes
the resource location problem much worse and provides more people to
perhaps work on it.  As an alternative, there are other projects to
piggyback on, such as Trove, rather than recreating the wheel.

But ultimately somebody's just going to have to sit down and _own_ the
work of writing up the requirements.  I failed previously in this regard
and would hate to see a new effort go down in defeat for the same
reasons.

Either way, let's PLEASE not get the project started here on meta-sig,
which isn't really a forum for plunging into the implementation details,
like which protocol to use.

Just my $0.02.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations