[meta-sig] CPAN-for-Python

Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:39:17 -0500

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 11:50:11AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:
>Back in the 1995 or 1996 time frame I created one of the first couple of
>sigs, called the "Locator SIG".  Its charter was to provide a
>searchable archive for Python resources.

I think we should revive the Locator SIG for this purpose.  While the
problem interacts with Distutils a bit (mostly in the metadata
available in setup.py files), much of it will be concerned with
requirements and data formats and protocols that are unrelated to the
Distutils.  I'm willing to own it, and here's a proposed description:

The Python Locator SIG aims at producing a master index of Python
software and other resources.  It will begin by figuring out what the
requirements are, converging on a design, and producing an implementation.

--amk