[meta-sig] CPAN-for-Python

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:30:57 -0800

+1 on recreating the Locator SIG. However, I'd call it the CPyAN SIG because
people will immediately understand what it is about. And let's not get
caught up in "needing it to be more generic." We're talking about a CPyAN
here, and that is a huge problem all by itself.

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 01:17:03AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> [Thomas pleas for using WEBDAV in CPyAN.]
>
> This is really a discussion for the CPyAN SIG, not for the meta-sig!
>
> Regardless of the merits of CPyAN, I'm wary of using WEBDAV here -- if
> the goal is to improve the Python experience for downloading 3rd party
> modules, we should be using lowest-common-denominator tools.  That
> means we can require nothing more than a web browser and an ftp
> client.

WebDAV doesn't not interfere with fetching modules. It can be used to
publish modules, to annotate them, and to find them. Alternative mechanisms
can certainly be available, but DAV will *definitely* not be a barrier to
*usage* of the CPyAN. Trust me on that one... it is an aid for maintenance
rather than a usage requirement.

Let's reframe the question about creating the SIG. Assent and silent assent
is easy for creating it. Are there any *opposing* viewpoints for creating a
new CPyAN SIG?

Cheers,
-g

--