[meta-sig] SIG Proposal: Network Management
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:44:27 +0300 (MSK)
Proposal: Network Management SIG
Objectives: It looks like there's a lack of network management facilities
in Python at the time being what narrows down the scripting language
options of Network Managers to Perl or Java. So, the initial objectives of
this SIG would be to develop SMI v1 & v2 MIB parser/compiler to bundle
with Python applications dedicated to network management and to develop a
Python module that supports SNMP v2.
Initial Duration: Six months
Coordinator: I could try to administer it if nobody else wants to.
1. Discuss and consider the best way of implementing MIB compiler in
Python. Foreseen solutions include a SWIG over libsmi or a written from
the scratch, pure-Python MIB compiler.
2. Discuss and consider the best way of implementing SNMP v2 (and possibly
higher versions of SNMP) engine to use with Python applications. Options
include a) extending PySNMP functionality up to higher versions of SNMP
b) a SWIG over UCD SNMP.
3. Discuss and define the API's and general design of MIB compiler and
SNMP v2 engine.
4. Implement MIB compiler and SNMPv2 engine.
5. Produce some end user documentation on API's of these two products.