[meta-sig] SIG Proposal: Network Management

Ilya Etingof ilya@glas.net
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:56:48 +0300 (MSK)

Guido,

Thanks for your reply.

> - Is there enough interest in this topic to warrant the creation of a
>   SIG?

Well, I can't really judge on this as I have no idea on how to evaluate
the interest and match it against SIG creation criterias... ;-)

To my own experience, there are quite a lot of Perl, Tcl and Java based
network management products and tools. Besides other factors, it's
probably also because of well established support for basic network
management tasks (primarily SNMP engine and MIB parser presense) in these
programming environments.

AFAIK, Python does not currently have comparably well developed facilities
so my intention is to create them as I need them.

> - Are there no other places where this topic can be discussed
>   successfully?

I have not found any relevant SIG in the index http://www.python.org/sigs/ .
I'm not yet aware of other places dedicated for specific tech talks besides
SIGs.

-ilya