[meta-sig] SIG Proposal: Network Management

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:07:25 -0500

> Ilya Etingof <ilya@glas.net> wrote:
>
> >Proposal: Network Management SIG
> >Objectives: It looks like there's a lack of network management facilities
> >in Python at the time being what narrows down the scripting language
> >options of Network Managers to
>
> Guido van Rossum (The BDFL) wrote:
> >- Is there enough interest in this topic to warrant the creation of a
> >  SIG?

Rodrigo Senra:
> I vote (don't know if this means anything these days ;o) YEP,
> feeling bold enough to mention the sad times that I had to go back
> using Tcl just because it had scotty and Python did not :o(
> regards

Ilya Etingof:
> > - Is there enough interest in this topic to warrant the creation of a
> >   SIG?
>
> Well, I can't really judge on this as I have no idea on how to evaluate
> the interest and match it against SIG creation criterias... ;-)
>
> To my own experience, there are quite a lot of Perl, Tcl and Java based
> network management products and tools. Besides other factors, it's
> probably also because of well established support for basic network
> management tasks (primarily SNMP engine and MIB parser presense) in these
> programming environments.
>
> AFAIK, Python does not currently have comparably well developed facilities
> so my intention is to create them as I need them.
>
> > - Are there no other places where this topic can be discussed
> >   successfully?
>
> I have not found any relevant SIG in the index http://www.python.org/sigs/ .
> I'm not yet aware of other places dedicated for specific tech talks besides
> SIGs.

I understand that there is a need for a tool.  But the real question
is, are there enough people who want to *work* on *creating* the tool
to warrant the need for a SIG?  The main cause for SIG failure is not
lack of posters so much as lack of contributions towards the goal of
the SIG.  Take for example Rodrigo's reply (just because he's the
first person to reply :-).  He votes "yes" (I have counted and
recounted his vote three times manually and it's still a single "yes"
vote :-) but he doesn't commit to do any of the work.  Without real
contributions there's no SIG.