[meta-sig] embedded-sig proposal

Jonathan Pennington Jonathan Pennington <john@coastalgeology.org>
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:57:21 -0500

Hello all, I come from the edu-sig list and my own project to develop
a suite of Python tools and an embedded Python to use in educational
robotics (http://eggo.sourceforge.net) to suggest a new SIG. There has
lately been discussion on my project to use Python to teach
programming and robotics, and that has spilled over into the method of
using Python for robots, including platform and module issues. I
decided that instead of just hacking away until I got a Python that
worked, since there was so much interest, I would try to formalize the
procedure so that all Pythonistas can have input and information on
the process of developing an embedded version of Python and tools to
help teach Python robotics programming. The discussion will continue
regardless, and I can easily add a list to my EGg0 project, but I
thought it might be better if this were kept closer to home.

Time Frame: Perhaps one year, March 2002.

Short desc:
"Discussion and development of Python for embedded systems."

Longer desc:
"This SIG is provided to implement an embedded version of Python with
a focus on, but in no way limited to, robotic/data aquisition
applications. The discussion will include such factors as hard ware
platforms, module limitations, embedding methods, current solutions,
etc. The goal is to produce a strong, embedded version of Python
within 1 year."

-J
--
Jonathan Pennington	|	john@coastalgeology.org

	 "A computer without windows is like a dog
	    without bricks tied to its head."