[meta-sig] Web services -- good to go?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Sun, 13 May 2001 09:51:52 -0500

> Can we create the web services SIG now?
>
> (By "we" I mean "please could someone with authority", of course.)
> 	/r$

Rich,

I'm sympathetic to the web services SIG idea, but I'm reluctant to
create new SIGs based on past experiences -- many sigs get started
with enthusiasm, only to fade away within months.  I'm not saying that
this *will* happen with the web-services-sig, but I'm worried that
it's *likely* to happen.  I haven't seen a lot of responses to your
post.  So please help me out.  What exactly would a SIG buy you that a
sourceforge project wouldn't?

Note: we're going to reinvent python.org as a Zope site.  This will
take a few months (lacking resources to work on it full time), but it
*will* happen.  Once we have a Zope-based site, I may drop some of my
resistance against creating new SIGs: currently every new SIG means
maintenance work for me and the other webmasters, but on a Zope site
that won't be the case.