[meta-sig] Giving each SIGs its own Wiki pages

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:45:14 -0400

The Python Wiki (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin) is now open.
I believe it is working very well.  I wonder if it can be used to give
most SIGs a more usable home on the web.  Currently each SIG has a
static home page, but since most SIG owners don't have webmaster
permission on python.org, making changes to the SIG home pages is a
pain.  Moving the SIG homepages to the Wiki would solve this problem:
the SIG members can maintain their own SIG site.

Since the SIG home pages (e.g. python.org/sigs/meta-sig/) are used as
well-known URLs to point to the SIGs, I propose to keep these pages
around, but make them very simple: a link to the mailing list, a link
to the list archives, a link to the Wiki, and that's it.

AFAIK The Wiki doesn't have a hierarchical namespace, but I expect
that's an advantage rather than a disadvantage -- accidental
crosslinks can provide useful synchronicity.

Comments?