[meta-sig] Giving each SIGs its own Wiki pages

Jonathan Riehl jriehl@spaceship.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:29:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> The Python Wiki (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin) is now open.
> I believe it is working very well.  I wonder if it can be used to give
> most SIGs a more usable home on the web.  Currently each SIG has a
> static home page, but since most SIG owners don't have webmaster
> permission on python.org, making changes to the SIG home pages is a
> pain.  Moving the SIG homepages to the Wiki would solve this problem:
> the SIG members can maintain their own SIG site.

Very cool.

> AFAIK The Wiki doesn't have a hierarchical namespace, but I expect
> that's an advantage rather than a disadvantage -- accidental
> crosslinks can provide useful synchronicity.
>
> Comments?

Wiki's can and have been used to carry on conversations.  While I don't
think most SIG members will use this "feature" (I think the majority will
post technical documents/proposals on the Wiki and then refer readers to
these for comments), there is still the possibility that lurkers of a SIG
(which I am prone to be most of the year) will miss something.

I was about to say there should be some email gateway for new material,
but looking over the current MoinMoin version, I see SIG champions would
be able to subscribe their lists to various pages pertinent to their
SIG's.  I guess it is time for me to update my copy of MoinMoin!

-Jon