[meta-sig] Proposal: Parser SIG

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 17:07:41 -0500

Martin von Loewis presented a paper at Python10 comparing several
different parser generators in order to assess which one would be
worth adding to the standard library.  Jonathan Riehl suggested
creating a Parser SIG, and I offered to run it.  (Alternatively we can
revive the name 'String-SIG'; that would be fine with me, too.)
The details follow:

Parser SIG: Selection of a parser for the standard library

different parser generators in order to assess which one would be
worth adding to the standard library.

Deliverables (in roughly this order):

1) A list of requirements for a parser generator suitable for
   inclusion.

2) If no parser meets those requirements, the SIG might work to
   enhance one or more parsers until the requirements are met.

3) A recommendation for a parser to include.  The BDFL can then
   ignore or follow the recommendation as he sees fit.

--amk                                                  (www.amk.ca)
I've lost my TARDIS, you've lost your memory; I'd be surprised if the
two events weren't related.
    -- The Doctor, in "Mawdryn Undead"