[meta-sig] Proposal: C++ SIG

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk@yahoo.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:06:43 -0800 (PST)

Boost.Python (http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html)
is a popular package for integrating Python and C++.
Currently, David Abrahams, the main author of Boost.Python, is working
full-time on a second generation of Boost.Python to add major new
features and to take full advantage of the new type system
introduced in Python 2.2. At the same time, David is integrating
contributions from the community (such as support for in-place
operators).

At the moment, the lively discussions about the development work do not
take place in a formal forum and are therefore not easily accessible to
the general public. To improve the communication between developers
and the Python community at large, I suggest to re-open the Python
C++ SIG. I volunteer to assume "responsibility for the list" in the
sense outlined at http://www.python.org/sigs/guidelines.html.

Suggested short blurb:
    Development of Python/C++ integration.

Suggested longer blurb:
    The Python C++ SIG is a forum for discussions about the integration
    of Python and C++, with an emphasis on the development of the
    Boost.Python library (http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html).
    At the point of this writing (Jan 2002), Boost.Python is undergoing
    a major rewrite to add powerful new features (i.e. full cross-module
    support) and to take full advantage of the new type system
    introduced in Python 2.2. Suggestions regarding the direction of
    the development work and contributions in the form of source code
    should be posted to this SIG.

Ralf