[meta-sig] reply-to header

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Wed, 14 May 2003 04:26:00 -0700

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 03:36  AM, Daan Hoogland wrote:

> HH DD,
>
> Im new to python and these lists. I noticed that the main python-list
> does not
> set a Reply-to header. I this on purpose?

Why yes, it is. The risk of screwing up by sending something only to
one person has less of a potential downside than sending a private
reply to a whole bunch of people.

I have seen embarrassing private replies sent to lists by mistake. I
have even seen credit card numbers sent to lists when they were
intended to be sent privately.

Additionally, lists with munged reply-tos are often excessively chatty
(except those that munge reply-to to be a reply to the original poster
only).

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite.