[meta-sig] [Edu-sig] Politics and Python in Education (meta on list charter)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jul 19 22:50:28 CEST 2007

Guido-

The change to edusig's charter by you as BDFL seems to be a "fait
accompli", so the redirect to meta-sig seems to be a waste of time, so
I'm going to drop this topic after this last post (I need to get back to
writing software in Python. :-)

As closure, someone with more perspective on this discussion than I told
me offlist they think it is *hilarious* that this sudden ban on
political discussion on edusig has come about in proximal response to
Kirby originally posting (in part):
"In the USA, most schools erect an artificial wall between mathematics
and any discipline involving computer programming.  To question this
wall is considered heresy.  One is branded a radical for even calling
attention to its existence. Instead of using the Python or any other
kid-friendly language to develop ideas about rational and complex
numbers, vectors, sets, primes versus composites, important algorithms
of mathematics, our children are enslaved to a dark ages regime that
permits only calculators, probably by Texas Instruments. Programming is
considered irrelevant to mathematics learning. Open source software is
scarcely whispered about. The use of Python or other programming
languages is either strictly forbidden or strongly discouraged within
primary and secondary school mathematics classes."

We'll see how well censorship works here too.

All the best.

--Paul Fernhout
"I just wake up in the morning and tell myself, 'There's been a military
coup'. And then it all makes sense." -- a US State Department official
   http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1045302,00.html