[meta-sig] Request for Python/C API mailing list

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Tue Jun 26 23:27:42 CEST 2007

Jack Jansen wrote:
>  From the various replies to the initial query I get the impression
> there are two distinct topics that people think the mailing list
> should be about:
> - The API that the Python core library presents to C code (whether C
> is embedding or extending Python)
> - How to make external C APIs available to Python programs.
>
> Both interest me, and there is definitely some relationship between
> the two, but I think it is a good idea if we focus the list.
> --
> Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
> If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma
> Goldman

I dont think we need to distinguish between the 2, there are examples on
extending and embedding as well as existing projects that can be used as
a reference.

If people show some initiative Im sure they can get some code started
and then work through some of their problems on their own.

If they cant find answers from searching and looking at the API docs
this list would be the place to ask.

Personally I have found the basics are well documented, its when your
putting together an API and doing some more obscure stuff that
discussing these topics on a list would help.

Since its hard to get help on this topic I dont want to be too exclusive
and turn away people with valid questions related to the Py/C api.