[Microbit-Python] Towards a 1.0

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jan 11 03:48:18 EST 2016

On 11.01.2016 09:24, Nicholas H.Tollervey wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Happy new year.
>
> TL;DR we need to get a 1.0 out the door asaps. If you have unfinished
> work / branches for MicroPython on the micro:bit please Please PLEASE
> can you get it finished / ready for review. Another important task is to
> update the developer documentation too since things have changed since
> the excellent initial work. Off the top of my head, there's still some
> image/display work Mark is working on, some bug fixes, the neo-pixel
> work and gestures that remain outstanding. We're *so* close.

These are some things I found while playing with the MicroPython
(so far):

* Printing in the Python script will have the output show
  up on the console. This doesn't seem to be documented
  anywhere, but is very useful for debugging scripts.

* Bug: microbit.Image() does not take keyword arguments
  http://microbit-micropython.readthedocs.org/en/latest/image.html

* array only supports .extend() and .append()

* arrays don't support buffer protocol

* bytearray.extend() doesn't support iterators, only buffers

* bytearrays don't support slice assignment, only index
  assignment

* If you first run:
  microbit.display.animate(i, 100, stride=1, wait=False, loop=True)
  and then:
  microbit.display.animate(i, 100, stride=1)
  you get a deadlock.
  There's no way to stop the background animation.

* need an API to query the available memory on the heap; useful
  for debugging memory leaks, but also to prevent MemoryErrors
  from crashing your script

Should I open tickets for these somewhere ?

Given the limitations under which MicroPython has to operate,
some of these would likely be documentation bugs more than
anything else.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Jan 11 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/