[Microbit-Python] Microbit and Wifi

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 20 11:57:44 EST 2016

Hello all,

I've been chatting a bit with Nicholas about the Bluetooth
support in the MB and the problems with the stack using
too much RAM, so I looked around a bit for alternatives
and found this neat little device:

RN1723:
http://uk.farnell.com/microchip/rn1723-i-rm100/wlan-modul-802-11b-g-2-4ghz-spi/dp/2491385
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=RN1723

Data sheet:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70005224A.pdf

Programming guide:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50002230B.pdf

It's fairly cheap, tiny, uses very little power when it's
idle and comes with a really nice network stack to easily
get a connection to a wifi network.

Now, I'd love to play with this and see whether I can get
it working, but need some help from someone who can point
me to resources showing how to connect the pin casing to
a breadboard. Even soldering looks like a problem, since the
pins are tiny.

Is there some kind of adapter I could order with the device
to get me going ? Ideally one which doesn't require soldering.

The closest I could find was this page:

    http://www.sm-breadboard.eu/

but none of those will fit the RN1723 case.

PS: My electronics days are long over, so I'm using the Microbit
as a bit of an excuse to slowly get into things again :-)

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Jan 20 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/