[mmgsoc] Pipermail archive UI

Dushyant Bansal cs5070214 at cse.iitd.ac.in
Thu Jun 2 20:27:37 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 31 May 2011 08:04 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> *archive-ui* ->  Yian's work on archive-ui as part of last year's GSOC on mailman 2.1
>> *pipermail* ->  Pipermail on mailman 3
>>
>> 1. In pipermail, all the static htmls generated for each message(that goes
>> into archives) are arranged in directories corresponding to different months.
>> Whereas in archive-ui, all the conversations are stored in a single
>> directory. The reason is that since a conversation can span across months,
>> it is somewhat ambiguous where to keep that conversation.
> No, in fact just about everybody finds Pipermail's forced divisions pretty
> crappy exactly for the reason you state.
Okay. I'll leave the current strategy of keeping all conversations in a
single directory untouched. And, as pointed out by Terry, I'll implement
"search by date" functionality.
>> Also, in archive-ui, when a message is archived, all the conversations are
>> generated again. Ideally, we should do minimum amount of work on archiving a
>> message. I am trying to work this out too.
> Agreed.  This is one reason to think about doing less work to generate a
> static page and doing the actual final rendering dynamically (with possibly a
> cache).
Actually, I was talking about the way more work done by archive-ui.
As per its current implementation, when a message is archived, all the
static html files corresponding to all conversations are generated
again. Ideally, we should rewrite only that conversation to which this
message belongs.
(Example of a conversation:
http://dev.systers.org/pipermail/testing/all/mentor.html#93f118f1003182226h10373c79y98d5a7fcb5fe150a@mail.gmail.com
)

But your point of serving pages dynamically is also something that we
can think about. Should I look more in this direction?

Regards,
Dushyant