[mmgsoc] Pipermail Archive-UI

Dushyant Bansal cs5070214 at cse.iitd.ac.in
Sat Jun 11 08:46:23 CEST 2011

> I'm wondering if it might not be easier to do this particular task
> dynamically, though: then you could just query the database and get
> the most up-to-date listing. Would it be easier to write the code for
> that and then for the static code, use that same script to regenerate
> the conversation when a new message comes in?
Yes, definitely, I'd like to go ahead with the dynamic generation of pages.

> Incidentally, how do you propose to do conversations in Mailman 3?
> Systers is using a modified codebase where conversations are separated
> using +conversation stuff stuck into the email address used for
> posting. (So for example, I might post a job interview to
> systers+jobs at ... if I were posting a job to the mailing list).
At one point of time, I explored this.
Archive-ui was written on top of systers’ implementation of mailman,
which supports some extra mailman extension - DList and conversations
view also shows email address corresponding to the conversation. But
Dlist has not been ported to mm3.
> You won't have that logic, so will you be using
> References:/In-Reply-To: combined with the subject line to approximate
> that? It's considered a bit of a technical problem in general, but
> probably any approximation we use will be "good enough" to start. I
> can't remember if we've talked about that before...
Yes, currently I am using just subject line to approximate that. I
thought about using 'In-Reply-To' to ensure uniqueness of conversation
in future.

Regards,
Dushyant