[mmgsoc] Archive UI Web Framework

Dushyant Bansal cs5070214 at cse.iitd.ac.in
Wed Jun 22 18:29:54 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I was looking for a web framework for Pipermail UI. I have decided to
use Pylons.
Anna and benste wanted to know the reasons for choosing pylons over
Django (As benste is already using Django for mailman WebUI). So, I
thought I should discuss it with all of you.

As you know, Andrew is working on converting Pipermail to use
Storm/SQLite instead of pickles to save data. So, the framework needs to
have support for Storm ORM. Django has its own ORM and Storm cannot be
used with it natively (Though storm is said to have support
<http://blogs.gnome.org/jamesh/2008/09/19/django-support-landed-in-storm/>
for django, I could not find anything further to try/test Storm with
Django).
Pylons doesn't provide any ORM and I have tested a small application
using Storm.

Please provide your feedback.

Regards,
Dushyant