[Mobile-sig] Next Steps for "Working" Port

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Fri Feb 20 04:00:22 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Cyd Haselton <chaselton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to the help and input of people from this and the python-dev list
> I've hacked together a nearly complete port of Python 3.4.2 to
> Android...specifically the KBOX system running on Android. I'm currently
> working at what I hope is the last bug...typing 'modules string' segfaults
> the python binary.
>
> I started this with the mindset that the port was just a step on the way
> to porting Mozilla's SpiderMonkey. I still intend to do this but I'm also
> wondering if, given the huge amount of work it's been, there is any public
> usefulness to this port.
>
> If so, what would be the next steps? Keep in mind that I am relatively new
> to pretty much everything related to the Linux platform, code
> development/contribution/maintenance and the like.

Are you looking for advice on the next steps for building SpiderMonkey? If
this is the case, then I'm not sure this is the best forum for that
discussion. This is a *Python* mobile-sig, not a general purpose Mobile
development forum. I'm not sure I see the connection between SpiderMonkey
and Python in this instance (although I admit I might be missing some
relevant but non-obvious connection here). If you want advice on how to
build SpiderMonkey, then a general purpose Android mailing list would be a
better forum.

However, if you're looking for advice on how to advance your Python 3.4.2
port, then I would guess the next step is to share your patches and build
instructions. Others have shared patches, but I don't think we're quite at
the point of a set of patches that could be applied to the Python source
tree that would make Android a platform supported by Python
"out-of-the-box". Everything I've seen to date involves post-patching
Makefiles, pyconfig.h, or providing other post-configure modifications of
the source tree, or results in a sys.platform that identifies as "Linux".

Don't get me wrong - getting Python to work on Android *at all* is
obviously an achievement - but to my mind, the end goal should be to get
the source tree to a point where it *isn't* a big achievement - just a
simple set of instructions using a default source download.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)