[Mobile-sig] python on android

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 03:07:26 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <
russell at keith-magee.com> wrote:

> [...] and, IMHO, a specific platform module for Android (as I've said
> previously in this forum, I don't believe an Android device should identify
> as "Linux", or iOS as "Darwin", because those identifiers are misleading on
> mobile devices).

re: sys.platform and mobile platforms

iOS is not built on a Darwin kernel. Android is built on a Linux (3) kernel.

For android, I think sys.platform="linux2" makes sense for things like
pathlib (which, I assume, checks sys.platform) largely because *most*
things should be linux-compatible (if mostly read-only and SELinux MAC
controlled). Otherwise, many existing libraries would need to be
unnecessarily patched.

Maybe an additional sys.mobile_platform would be more helpful?

Relevant sys.platform thread posts:

* https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2014-August/135606.html
* https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mobile-sig/2015-February/000032.html
* https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mobile-sig/2015-January/000007.html