[Mobile-sig] python on android

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jan 29 18:33:13 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Fetchinson . <fetchinson at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On 1/29/15, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > Can we stop arguing about Kivy vs Toga and focus on the one thing that
> they
> > have in common, the need for a working Python 3 port on Android and iOS
> > (for a start)? This is apparently mostly a matter of solving a lot of
> small
> > things with the build system, dependencies, improved config files, and
> > getting stuff integrated upstream so it can be built out of the box,
> right?
>
> I think so. And even better would be if binary android or iOS packages
> are distributed on python.org just like for windows and people don't
> have to compile themselves since even if the source tree is perfectly
> okay and can be compiled for android or iOS the actual compilation
> will be complicated for an average user of (and not developer of) a
> python program on a phone.

Well, *someone* has to commit to making those packages. And it's unlikely
that it'll be one of the core committers, who don't have the right
expertise (give us a break :-). For Mac and Windows, we coordinate the
release of the binary packages carefully with new source releases -- for
other platforms, I don't think such a tightly coupled schedule will work.
But instead I do hope that you or someone else who cares enough and has the
expertise and resources to build such binaries will build them and post
them to PyPI. It then shouldn't be a big hassle to get the python.org
website updated with links to the latest packages on PyPI.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)