[Mobile-sig] support of the android platform

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Wed Apr 27 21:01:45 EDT 2016

(Apologies for the personal repost - I forgot to reply-all on the first
attempt)

Hi Xavier,

Great stuff!

I’ve got a question about your experience integrating with the native
Android platform APIs.

Getting CPython compiled as a native binary library is a huge step, but my
experience has been that bridging between binary libraries and the
Java/Dalvik APIs is a painful process - JNI *exists*, but it’s *really*
slow, and has some pretty harsh limitations (like the kernel-imposed JNI
reference count limit).

For some applications, this won’t matter - for example, if you’re treating
the android device as a low power server, something that is terminal only
isn’t a problem. However, if you want to write a native app, then you need
to be able to create an Activity, with a View, put a Button on it, and a
Layout, and so on. Have you done any exploration of the binding to these
native APIs?

Also - are you going to be at PyCon US by any chance? If you are, I’d love
to catch up and share notes.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)