[Mobile-sig] Pythonic idioms on mobile platforms

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Wed Dec 13 18:40:18 EST 2017

Can’t say I’ve hand any problems on iOS. Under the hood, iOS exposes a POSIX API (with some notable ommissions), so Python threads pretty much work out of the box. The CPython test suite runs fine.

As for Android - that will depend very much on the approach you’re taking. At the raw C API level, I would suspect (but can’t confirm) that Python’s API maps fairly well, for the same reason iOS does. However, that doesn’t help you at the GUI layer, because everything there is in Java. However, the API exposed by Java Runnables maps reasonably well onto what POSIX threads try to do, so I’d be surprised if it couldn’t be converted.

Do you have a specific problem that you’ve encountered that has lead to this question?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)