[Mobile-sig] Jython (was Re: Competitors - Kotlin)

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jun 14 10:28:19 EDT 2017

On Tue Jun 13 17:02:11 EDT 2017, I wrote:

> I wonder if the class files could be processed by the Android tools to
> create Dex bytecode. I'm not familiar enough with the Android toolchain
> with its Java heritage to know how to integrate Jython into it. Maybe parts
> of the VOC toolchain could be used to do that.

Watching Russell's video from last year

http://pyvideo.org/pycon-us-2016/russell-keith-magee-a-tale-of-two-cellphones-
python-on-android-and-ios-pycon-2016.html

it seems that Jython requires things that aren't implemented in Android's
version of the Java standard library. However, perhaps there's still scope
for some code reuse between Jython and VOC. :-)

David