[Moin-devel] Page Permissions

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Thu Jan 30 19:47:01 EST 2003

At 12:20 2003-01-30 -0800, Nick Trout wrote:
>I take your point but it would be nice to know you face a possible
>collision. It would be nice if the wiki were "polite" and told you you
>might have to do some work to merge stuff because someone is currently
>editing a page. And, what if you were editing a page when someone *did*
>refactor and cut a page up. Your edits would be dispersed all over the
>place.

But I think this works! When you try to save it says:

---
Sorry, someone else saved the page while you edited it.

Please do the following: Use the back button of your browser, and cut&paste
your changes from there. Then go forward to here, and click EditText again.
Now re-add your changes to the current page contents.

Do not just replace the content editbox with your version of the page,
because that would delete the changes of the other person, which is
excessively rude!
---

You can obviously change this to be more elaborate. Go back and copy
your text. Paste it into your favourite editor. Click on the 3D glasses
to see what was changed by the other party. Figure out what to do now.
click on the edit icon, and fix the text based on current content and
what you placed in your editor.

I realize what you say, warn already when the editing starts, but that
has several disadvantages. Obviously the number of "start edit" events
can be bigger than the number of "saves". People start editing but change
their mind, get lost in surfing, or just open the page to see how you
construct a table of contents or whatever. In these cases you will warn
people for no reason. Also, if you start edit, and then I start editing,
finish before you and try to save, you will either have a hard lock that
prevents me from saving, completely disabling parallel work, or I will
be able to give you a surprise when you try to save...and we will be back
at todays situation.

Perhaps the trick is to teach people how to merge.
Perhaps there should be a merge tool?

>  One reason is bugs in IE and loses changes
>in an edit window whilst browsing in another window.

Really? Yet another reason to use Opera or Mozilla...
I guess switching browser is the only way to change
that. Also, teach people to do many small changes rather
than few big ones, even if the page might be in a state
they don't like for a minute or three.

>Another reason is
>someone editing a page whilst someone else is editing it.

Which can be handled...

I have a feeling that people who are able to live with Wiki
syntax can handle that as well...

>  I think you were only criticising the CMS additions!

Yes...

Of course, it's a good thing if software components can be
... well ... components, so that we can pick out features
to use in other contexts. A lot of MoinMoin could be useful
in a CMS system, or for a generator of static pages etc.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN
http://www.thinkware.se/  mailto:magnus at thinkware.se