[Moin-devel] Page Permissions

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Fri Jan 31 07:03:04 EST 2003

At 12:42 2003-01-31 +0100, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
>So I think this action=raw icon (calling it RAW or SRC or ...?) would
>really help with that

I'm sure you can fix that on your wikis.

[I start editing after you, and save first in "warn when you start to edit"
scenario.]
>Yes. But you have been warned.

I know, but you haven't, and you are the one who will
have to deal with it. (Unless you just paste over my
edits.) But even then, there is a history mechanism to
retrieve the pasted over data. There should *never*
have to be loss of saved MoinMoin data.

>And you being a nice guy, you will not impose much work on other people
>merging their stuff if you don't feel really necessary.

But I don't know if you *will* save anything. And I surely
don't know if it will cause any difficult to resolve conflicts.

Nice guy or not. I just had this tiny change I wanted to make
right now, since it just popped up, and I don't want to make
this into a big case that I have to schedule in my Filofax.
The simplicity is one of the main aspects of a Wiki.

If YOU want to make a big change in a page, and want it to be
left alone while you edit, why don't you just say so? Just
place the text

= HEY! I'm making big changes in this page right now =
== Please leave it alone for a while. /Thomas ==

Then you save it. Then you open it again. No programming
needed. If you feel a desire to change the code, make a
new EditTextWithWarning link that will make this happen
in one step. You click on that, the page will be updated
with the text

= WARNING: Currently edited by UserName since 14:30 Jan 31 =

and saved. Then it will be opened for editing again. There
might be a check to see that there isn't already such a
Warning notice in the page...

I don't feel that MoinMoin should be turned into some kind
of ClearCase. I still feel that if this becomes a common
problem in a Wiki, you either use it the wrong way or use
it for the wrong purpose.

>"Backup often" (wiki: save often) is a good idea anyway.
>Some browsers and also some so-called operating systems tend to crash.
>Connections get terminated, etc...

Certainly. But obviously this is difficult to learn
for some. The best way to teach them is probably to
toggle the power now and then. ;)

Maybe wikis work well among extreme programmers because
they have learnt to do things in small steps. That's how
they code, and I guess that's how they write.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN
http://www.thinkware.se/  mailto:magnus at thinkware.se