[Moin-user] Added into to HelpOnInstalling/ApacheOnUnix Troubleshooting secti on

Bradey Honsinger Bradey.Honsinger at construx.com
Thu Mar 21 19:27:02 EST 2002

I added a bit to the HelpOnInstalling/ApacheOnUnix Troubleshooting section
on MoinMoinWiki--so, like the note on the HelpContents page says, I'm
posting it here to make sure they don't get lost. The part about the
"/mywiki?test" URL running the diagnostic script should probably go in a
top-level Troubleshooting section, but I didn't see one and didn't want to
make that big of a change to the install docs.

- Bradey

--------

==== Missing file permissions ====

If you are root, the installed files may be readable only by root--they must
also be readable by the web server before the wiki will work. This includes
both the Python modules and the site itself. To fix this, first find out
where the Python module directory is--look in `install.log`, or run the
command:

{{{
python -c "import sys; print '%s/lib/python%s/site-packages' % ( sys.prefix,
sys.version[:3] )"
}}}

For the example below, we'll assume that the Python module directory is
`/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages`.
Make the files world-readable using the following commands:

{{{
find /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/MoinMoin -type d | xargs chmod
a+rx
find /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/MoinMoin -type f | xargs chmod
a+r
find /usr/local/share/moin -type d | xargs chmod a+rx
find /usr/local/share/moin -type f | xargs chmod a+r
}}}

/!\ Note that by making everything under `/usr/local/share/moin`
world-readable, local users can read the files containing your wiki--you
don't really need to do that, since the `mywiki` directory is owned by the
webserver. If you don't want that, you can stick a "`| grep -v mywiki`" in
between the `find` and the `xargs`.

==== Built-in test ====

There's also a built-in diagnostic script that's useful when doing an
install--just append '`?test`' to the URL of your wiki:

{{{
lynx --dump http://`hostname`/mywiki?test
}}}

If you see an import error here, but `python -c "import Moin``Moin"` works,
it's likely a result of missing file permissions.