AW: [Moin-user] IIS bad URL generation. The / should be a ?

Troy Sorzano troyweb at infopackaging.com
Wed Oct 2 15:37:52 EDT 2002

Hi Dierk,

 >>  Hello Troy,

 >>  > My problem it seems is the HTML that is generated by MoinMoin
 >>  > is using a / "forward" slash between the URL filename and the
 >>  > URL variables.  If I manually replace the / with a ? the
 >>  > MoinMoin seems to work fine.
 >>  >
 >>  > First problem I had was the default page index.html that was
 >>  > copied from the wiki\htdocs to the root of my wiki.  It had
 >>  > an ending / "backslash" on the following line
 >>  >
 >>  >     <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=moin.cgi/">
 >>  >
 >>  > That would cause my IIS server to generate errors.  I removed
 >>  > the / and the default wiki page opened!  May be the Microsoft
 >>  > URL lockdown tool causing this one.  But it was a simple fix
 >>  > so I am not worried.  However there are more / problems with
 >>  > my install.

 >>  What you think of as an error should be an ordinary behaviour of
 >>  the
 >>  Webserver when starting a CGI script. A path after the path of
 >>  the script to
 >>  be executed is called 'extra path information'. Please have a
 >>  look at

 >>  http://www.w3.org/Daemon/User/CGI/Overview.html#Input

 >>  I myself use Xitami on an XP machine because of the many
 >>  security holes of
 >>  IIS. With this server MoinMoin runs well without any
 >>  modifications.

Your link to the w3 lead me to the solution.  I am running IIS with the URLScan tool from microsoft.  It is an additional layer of security for IIS that filters any URL based upon the URLScan.ini configuration file.  The following link describes the URLScan
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326444

So I just edited my URLScan.ini changed AllowDotInPath=0 to
AllowDotInPath=1               ; if 1, allow dots that are not file extensions
then restarted IIS.  Now my MoinMoin Wiki is up and running.

So the problem was not MoinMoin Wiki and it was not that IIS didn't support PATH_INFO.  The problem was with the default setting of the URLScan security tool.

Thanks,

Troy Sorzano
Info Packaging