[Moin-user] port disappears on certain urls -> non-default port, HTTP_HOST = varying

Joshua Rodman joshua_rodman at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 11:00:12 EST 2003

> > --- Joshua Rodman <joshua_rodman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > HTTP_HOST gets sent as myserver.mydomain.com and localhost,
> > > respectively,
> > > which appears to be acceptable for the HTTP standard, despite
> > > the nonstandard port number.
> > >
> > > SERVER_NAME is set to 'myserver', which may be wrong, but I believe
> > > is not relevant.
> > >
> > > SERVER_PORT is set to '81'.

> --- Roger Haase wrote:
> > I also use a non-standard port (55555 for security reasons) and thought
> > I would have the same problem, but am unable to reproduce it using
> > Apache and the current MoinMoin CVS.
[...]

--- Ryan Wilcox <RWilcox at olenick.com> wrote:
> I to have tried to reproduce this error using Apache [...]
> Is there part of your basic config that I am missing other than thttpd?

Clearly the logic bug would have been found more rapidly if it occurred
on Apache.  It may be that Apache adds the port number to the HTTP_HOST
environment variable, whether the client sends it or not.  As I'm not
running Apache, I can't rapidly test this.

If you're interested, verify the values of HTTP_HOST, SERVER_HOST, and
SERVER_PORT for your browser/server/CGI configuration.

This is really an issue with only these three environment variables in
the CGI environment, not anything more complicated regarding webserver
internals.  According to the specification, thttpd seems to be doing
everything correctly.  Apache likely is also behaving in a reasonable
manner.

So it shouldn't affect you if you use Apache, but it might if you use
an alternate httpd.  Given that Apache is big, has periodic security
problems, and has a larger performance load, it does not fit my needs.

-josh