[Moin-user] IE has a bug which may impact "padding-left: 1.2%;"

Roger Haase crosseyedpenguin at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 14:01:06 EDT 2003

I have been scratching my head for a while on this one, and thought I
should document it in case someone else has a similar problem.

In CVS, on March 31 moinmoin.css was changed to include:
h1 {
    font-size: 150%;
    padding-left: 0.4%;
    width: 99.6%;
}

where an older version specified the padding in points:
    padding-left: 3pt;

To set up the IE bug, I am overriding title2 and page_footer1 in
moin_config.py:

The above sets the text width of the wiki to 80% of the screen width,
making text easier to read IMHO.

The two %'s in combination seem to set off a bug in IE 4 (?), 5.5, and
6 per:
   http://www.richinstyle.com/bugs/ie4.html#margin

The net result in my case was that any page with a section heading was
displayed as a very wide page, with the left margin of the heading text
shifted toward the middle of the page and the dark colored section bar
extending many scroll-bar clicks to the right.

The problem is corrected by addding an override to my site .css file to
specify the padding-left in points:
h1 {padding-left: 3pt;}
h2 {padding-left: 6pt;}
h3 {padding-left: 9pt;}