[Moin-user] Re: UTF8 wiki setup

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Thu Sep 25 03:07:03 EDT 2003

> I checked your pages and it looks great. I assume
> that all I have to do is to change the 'charset'
> property in moin_config.py to 'utf-8', right?

You have to set to variables in moin_confing.py:
charset = 'utf-8'
default_lang = 'de'

The language for each request is selected by the user preferences, or
the user browser preferences, or the wiki default language.

> Why is the language macro needed? Just for the
> writing direction?

The most important benefit is the writing direction, which is need for
Hebrew and Arabic, but there could be other uses for the language tag:
  * Speech interface
  * Checking spelling and grammar
  * Finding information in specific language

The language macros are the the iso name of the language enclosed in
[[]], like [[fr]]. Every HTML element after the language macro will
have a lang and direction tag.

Look at the text of this page:
<http://line134-51.adsl.actcom.co.il/fixes/LanguagesTest/
MultiLanguageTest?action=edit>

And then look at the HTML code of the page.

As you can see in this test page, moin does not know all languages, so
some of the macros has no effect. If you want moin to know ru or ro,
you can help by translating the language files.

Look here for info on translation:
<http://twistedmatrix.com/users/jh.twistd/moin/moin.cgi/MoinDev/
Translation>