[Moin-user] Useability enhancement

James Greenfield James at mosaicsoftware.com
Tue Aug 3 23:58:04 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to make this suggestion.

Currently, if you enable the nonexist_qm configuration flag, links to non-existent topics are rendered with a question mark in front of the link, and the hyperlink consists only of the question mark.

I have an aesthetic concern and a useability concern:
1. Aesthetic: The question mark is, in my experience, normally rendered after the topic. This looks better. In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest it be rendered as superscript too. It just looks cleaner (it doesn't clutter the text that way).
2. Useability. The question mark is a tiny piece of text to aim a mouse at. It frustrated me and no doubt frustrates others. I think it would be better to keep the question mark but make the topic itself the link (as for existing topics).

I've made the change on my local copy of MoinMoin, it's a one liner (to incorporate both):

In Page.py, in the link_to method on the Page class, on line 322 (in my version), change the following two lines:

	return wikiutil.link_tag(request, url,
	    '?', formatter=fmt, **kw) + text + attach_link

	return wikiutil.link_tag(request, url,
	    text, formatter=fmt, **kw) + '<sup>?</sup>' + attach_link

Just some suggestions. Otherwise, I must admit, I'm very happy. No serious problems, easy to set up. Thanks for such a useful engine :-)

Regards
James Greenfield