[Moin-user] upgrading from 1.2.4 to 1.3.1

Jim Carroll jcarroll at totality.com
Fri Dec 24 13:49:01 EST 2004

[This is the last of the 3 hurdles I've been trying to resolve.]

I recently tried to upgrade from 1.2.4 to 1.3.1 without success.  I did make
backups, so it was no big deal to revert to 1.2.4.  However, I'd still like
to do the upgrade, if possible.  Here's the documentation I followed:

- checked the README, which said to check INSTALL.html, UPDATE.html and
CHANGES.

- since I've already gone through the install steps (about 2 months back)
with 1.2.4, it seemed the prudent approach was to jump to UPDATE.html.

- reviewing UPDATE.html I made the necessary backups, ran "python setup.py
install", then after seeing "After upgrading, your existing wiki should
continue to work", tried my wiki.  Tried, but got this error:

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler MoinMoin.request::RequestModPy.run"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 291, in
HandlerDispatch
    arg=req, silent=hlist.silent)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 526, in
resolve_object
    instance = parent(arg)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MoinMoin/request.py", line 1553, in
__init__
    RequestBase.__init__(self)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MoinMoin/request.py", line 98, in
__init__
    self.rootpage = Page(self, rootname)

TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)

- At this point I probably should have stopped, given that my wiki should
have continued to work.  But, leaving no stone unturned I continued in the
UPDATE.html.  I tried the "moin.cgi?action=test" test, but got the same
error.  Scrolling down through the various versions, for 1.3 it says to
refer to the CHANGES file for upgrade details.

- reviewing CHANGES, no instructions in the 1.3.1 section, but in the 1.3.0
it says to refer to README.migration

- following the README.migration instructions, I copied aacom/data to the
directory where the scripts are, then ran through each of them once.  No
errors reported.

At this point the directions just sorta fade away.  It doesn't say whether
to overlay the new data directory on top of the original, or whether to blow
away the original and drop this one in its place.  Hoping that one or the
other would remediate the above problem, first I renamed the original data
dir then copied the new one into place.  I made sure the perms were correct,
of course.

- copied the data dir to the migration dir and ran through the
12_to_13_mig?.py scripts, in order; renamed original data dir to data.orig
and copied modified data dir back into wiki.  chmod -R apache:apache on data
dir.  Tried wiki, got same error as shown above.

- renamed original data dir back to 'data' and copied modified data dir
overtop this dir.  chmod -R apache:apache data.  Tried wiki, got same error
as shown above.

No doubt I should have stopped after getting the python error the first
time.

So did I follow the correct docco?  If so, where did I go wrong, and if not,
where can the authoritative upgrade docco be found?

TIA,

jc