[Moin-user] Re: How to embed links to files, rather than the files themselves?

Michael P. Soulier michael_soulier at mitel.com
Wed Oct 20 11:48:00 EDT 2004

On 20/10/04 Matthew Wilson did say:

> Metrix is a Red Hat linux server, using NFS (I think).

Probably samba, thus a windows share. I know those types of links work
in IE, even though they're totally non-standard.

> No can do.  Is there any way to link to a file on a file server?

Well, in general, using file:// is a bad idea. That file must exist on
every client for such links to always work. http and ftp are better,
since the browser understands those protocols and those links should
work from everywhere you page is accessible. file:// is normally for
access from the client computer only.

If you want to link to a file on a file server using standard protocols,
you'd need a web server or ftp daemon on the file server and use those
protocols.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <michael_soulier at mitel.com>, 613-592-2122 x2522
6000/6010/60* Development, Mitel Corporation