[Moin-user] RenamePage and links

Michael P. Soulier michael_soulier at mitel.com
Fri Oct 22 10:57:03 EDT 2004

On 22/10/04 Thomas Waldmann did say:

> Right. This is why one should think before naming pages. <g>

Unfortunately not everyone using the Wiki does so, or follows preset
naming conventions.

> We could automatically change all link, but this has several problems:
>
> a) Technically, we would need to globally lock the whole wiki while that
> renaming is in progress - to avoid other people changing pages we also
> change (or just renaming it back or to another name). This is not nice
> to do.

Perhaps, but if this is made clear to the Wiki admin up front, they can
restrict access to the RenamePage action appropriately.

> b) If it is so easy, you might get oscillations in page names, if people
> can't agree on it.

Again, I would give the wiki admin the choice. Warn them of the possible
issues, but give them the option. You could even make the action
configurable, so they have the option of having it rename all links when
the page is renamed.

I don't think I subscribe to the idea of "dangerous features". I'd leave
the choice up to the wiki admin.

> Not in 1.3. Maybe 1.4, maybe later, maybe never. X)
>
> That global lock is the main problem...

Understood.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <michael_soulier at mitel.com>, 613-592-2122 x2522
6000/6010/60* Development, Mitel Corporation