[Moin-user] Re: Upgrading from 1.2 -> 1.3 (M.-A. Lemburg)

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Thu Apr 21 04:19:17 EDT 2005

> Now that you've released 1.3, I'd like to upgrade
> to the new release, but I am rather surprised by the upgrade
> path you provide in the README.migration esp. since the comments
> in the various migration scripts don't really give me a warm
> fuzzy feeling that the upgrade is working properly...
>
> Isn't there a way to upgrade smoothly from 1.2 without
> introducing bugs, wrong timestamps, wrong revno increments,
> etc. in between which then have to get fixed in later steps
> of the process ?

The upgrade do work as you can see in many big wikis around. For a warm
fuzzy feeling, its not recommended to read those upgrade scripts though
:-).

Those scripts used in the development process to move from dev version
1 to 2, 2 to 3 etc. Some of the scripts had errors, which had to be
fixed in later scripts. Some of the errors could not be avoided because
of limitations of the data saved in 1.2.

It was nice to have one script that read 1.2 format wiki, and write 1.3
format wiki, but unfortunately nobody wrote such script.

The best way to get a warm fuzzy feeling would be to extract the
distribution, copy your old data directory into the migration
directory, run those scripts one by one, and set a new test wiki with
the converted data. When you feel safe enough, shutdown the production
wiki and convert it.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer