[Moin-user] inexplicably(?) slow with CGI on Mac OS X

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Sat Apr 23 04:10:38 EDT 2005

On 23 Apr, 2005, at 13:34, moin-user-request at lists.sourceforge.net
wrote:

> I ran "ab -c 10 -n 100 http://localhost/mywiki/WhyWikiWorks"
>
> Machine 1:  (Machine it needs to run on)
>     Mac 800Mhz G4 and 512MB
>     Mac OS X  10.3.7
>     apache 1.3.33
>     python 2.3
>     MoinMoin 1.3.4 (using CGI)
>     requests per second 0.34
>     90% served in 31367 msec
>
> Machine 2:  (Home machine)
>     Compaq with  Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67GHz) and 512MB
>     Xandros 2.0 (debian linux)
>     apache 1.3.27
>     python 2.3
>     MoinMoin 1.3.4 (using CGI)
>     requests per second 3.16
>     90% served in 3199 msec

Apple will not tell you this, but Athlon XP 2000 is equivalent to G4
2GHz or G3 2GHz for general applications that can't use Altivec. Also,
moin depends on IO, and your home machine might have much faster disk
and faster memory then this old G4.

Apache on Mac OS X run slower then on Linux. On test I made on my G5
running Ubuntu, CGI was much faster on Linux then on same machine
running Mac OS X, while standalone server run in similar speed.

You can check http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinBenchmarks for resutls
on various machines. Most results there are from my dual G5.

In case you need more speed, CGI is not the solution. Check FastCGI,
Mod Python, Twisted or moin own standalone server (in that order).

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer