[Moin-user] Re: line break [[BR]] can be replaced with simple \n???

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Tue Feb 1 06:27:37 EST 2005

> https://pro5.abac.com/deanhiller/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/UseCases
> Notice Use Case I and how many [[BR]] I had to type.

Just one example from there:

'''Special Requirements:'''[[BR]]
Do we have any?

This is a typical example of unnecessary BR, because what your really
wanted is some sort of list.

When you introduce by "Special Requirements", the intention is that
there will be a *list* of special requirements following. Either an
unnumbered list or maybe even a numbered list, if you want to express
importance or priority of requirements. So this should be expressed like
that in the end:

'''Special Requirements:'''
  * one requirement
  * another requirement

or

'''Special Requirements:'''
  1. most important requirement
  1. second most important requirement

or even

=== Special Requirements ===
  1. most important requirement
  1. second most important requirement

When you begin and just have your question "do we have any", maybe
simply use the same method just to make it easier for other people to
see what markup they should use for writing the real requirements (so
that they don't have to wonder about BR, too :):

'''Special Requirements:'''
  * ...
  * Do we have any more?

Hope that helps.

BTW, I only know one case where one is maybe really forced to use lots
of [[BR]]: when you write poems into a wiki.

But if you write lots of them, you maybe want to use some poem parser
for that.