[Moin-user] Re: Failed to update MoinMoin from 1.2.3 to 1.3.1 and being disappointed :-(

Bob Apthorpe apthorpe at cynistar.net
Fri Feb 4 09:35:44 EST 2005

Charles de Miramon wrote:
>>"To start, copy your data/ directory to this directory"
>>What is this directory?
>
> I'm a MoinMoin 1.2.3 user and have not made the update yet seeing all the
> problems on the list. I agree with Ulf that the documentation is not very
> clear. I also don't understand what the underlay directory really means. It
> would be nice to have a chart in the documentation explaining the
> difference between the 1.2.x directories structure and the 1.3.x structure
> to make it easier to understand how we should move/restructure our data.

Sorry to reactivate this dead thread, but I have an answer. The default
pages that ship with MoinMoin 1.3.x are stored in ./underlay, which
keeps them separate from locally-created content stored in ./data. This
should simplify upgrading from v1.3.x to future versions, but it doesn't
help much for the 1.2.x -> 1.3.x upgrade.

When you convert your 1.2.x pages to the format expected by v1.3.x, the
12_to_13_mig3.py script intermingles your locally-created pages with the
1.2.4 default pages. This means you need to manually copy your
locally-created pages from the migration ./data/pages directory into the
new wiki ./data/pages directory rather than just blindy copying
everything from the migration ./data/pages directory. It's a pain, but
you should only need to do it once when updating to 1.3.x.

hth,

-- Bob