[Moin-user] Problems with first moin install

Ian ian.to at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 3 22:16:06 EST 2005

At 11:23 PM 1/3/2005, you wrote:

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:06:37 +0100
>From: Thomas Waldmann <tw-public at gmx.de>
>To: moin-user at lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: Re: [Moin-user] Problems with first moin install
>
> > #2 - It takes 10 seconds or more to follow any link in the system.
> > Installation is on a user-mode-linux setup (tummy.com).
> > 50 MB Ram
> > Fedora Core 1
> > Apache 2.0.50
> > Python 2.2.3
> > Moin 1.3.1
> > Mod_Python 3.1.3 compiled from source for this setup.
>
>50MB might be a bit low for all that stuff.
>
>UML doesn't it make faster.
>
>Maybe using standalone or twisted (and switching off apache2) would save
>some RAM.
>
>Py 2.3.4 or 2.4 would maybe make it faster (not sure about RAM needs of
>those, though).
>
>And: moin 1.3.x (x<2) isn't fast anyway. We are working on it and try to
>release a 1.3.2 with better speed and the usual fixes soon.

I'm happy to report that I got it working (even with Python 2.2.3).  The
problem was that I had not set up the server address in Apache.
Now everything works and is reasonably fast, but I get an overflow
error on Recent Changes (long int too large to convert to int).

Therefore I tried to get mod_python
working with Python 2.4, but the --with-python option doesn't seem to work
(as previously reported on this list).  Haven't figured out yet how to
modify the path seen by Apache so that will load Python 2.4, and I can't
change the default python as it's used by the uml system.

So for the time being I will continue with 2.2.3, only Recent Changes seems
to be unhappy.

Cheers,

Ian